Foundation of Teaching
Self-Realization, Oneness, Non-Duality, Love
Example of Teaching
“Only when human beings are able to perceive and acknowledge the Self in each other can there be real peace.”
Total Views: 16,224
ContactAmritanandamayi Math, Amritapuri P.O, Kollam, Kerala, India firstname.lastname@example.org
Internationally renowned as the “hugging saint,” Mata Amritanandamayi Devi, aka “Amma” has embraced 32 million people to date worldwide. A Hindu spiritual leader and guru, she is recognized as a treasure trove of practical, spiritual wisdom. Amma has delivered messages of peace and love at international platforms like the United Nations and Parliament of World Religions.
Amritanandamayi was born to fishermen’s family in Amritpuri, a small town in Kerala, southwest India. Her education halted at age nine as she had to take care of her siblings. She showed her humanitarian touch at an early age when she would gather food and scraps not only for her family but share with the neighbors as well. She also started embracing people to comfort their sorrows. Her stream of love grew and brought crowds. Soon her family home became the hub as seekers and followers began to reside there.
While she was in her teens, she began to give “Darshan,” (seeing the sacred) and as her habit of embracing and comforting picked up momentum, Amma’s message of love expanded on a global level.
She has lifted and transformed peoples’ lives worldwide, through her embrace, wisdom and charities that range from fighting hunger, providing education and health care to building homes, green intitiatives and empowering women.
While Amma is widely regarded as one of India’s foremost spiritual leaders, Amma says that her religion is love. She has never asked anyone to change their religion but only to contemplate the essential principles of their own faith and to try to live accordingly.[/fusion_text][/fusion_builder_column][/fusion_builder_row][/fusion_builder_container]
View all Articles
- "Only when human beings are able to perceive and acknowledge the Self in each other can there be real peace."
- "All I am concerned with is what positive I can do."
- "Different people will think different things – that is the nature of the world. People have the right to have faith or not to have faith.”
- “For me, everything in creation is God, there is nothing but God. Every single object is a wonder for me.”
- “Our goal is to live in the present moment.”
- "Friendship is like an elevator, it can take you up or down. Choose friends intelligently."
- “We have to regain our original faces rather than wearing masks. … We go more and more after the external world and we miss the inner self.”
- "Peace and love are the same for everyone. Like honey, it is always sweet."
- "The first step in spiritual life is to have compassion. A person who is kind and loving never needs to go searching for God. God rushes toward any heart that beats with compassion-it is God's favorite place."